Thursday, September 01, 2005

We're getting older now.

Good-Bye CBGB's.

I wasn't part of the original CBGB's crowd, obviously. I'm not old enough. But the boy is, not that he was part of it either because, you know, he's from the south y'all. However, we're all aware of what it was about and it's going to be a very sad day when it's ripped to bits and replaced by..who knows...a jamba juice?

It makes me think about a story the boy told me when we first started dating. We were doing the usual "what kind of music do you like?" thing. Keeping our fingers crossed and hoping we hadn't accidentally fallen in like with someone who was say...a closet Britney Spears fan or worse, Kenny G. He said his favorite was the Ramones. (phew!)

Then he made this face I'd never seen him make before and I've never really seen it since. I think it was his version of excitement. (he's not very excitable. not on the outside. when we go on rollercoasters, he smirks and giggles. that's it. I dont think he even opens his mouth.)

"I saw Joey once. On the street."

"Really?"

"Yeah. It was like this."

Then he demonstrated for me how he (the Boy) was standing at a cross walk and Joey Ramone himself walked up and stood on the very same crosswalk, waiting for the walk sign. Then he told me how he got the jitters and just kept walking until he came to his senses, turned around and said hello...or something along those lines.

I wish Joey Ramone was still alive for many many reasons. But most of all, I would pay to see that look of excitement on the Boy's face again when Joey passes him on the street. You do know we named one of our cats after Joey right? Yeah, and the other one is Sid. Cause they're punk rock cats you know.